The triangular Chevron Vegetable Beds and Long Beds are north facing receiving a good 7 hours of sun through summer. I consider this area to be my Zone 1.
This area was built using the No-Dig method on top of existing pasture of mixed grasses and some weed.
Chevron Area is approx 25m2 – Long bed area approx 32.5m2
October – Spring 2013 – all beds
- Harvest remaining crops, leek, onion, broccoli, silverbeet, asparagus, parsley, carrots
- collect & dry seed pods
- Add manure, compost and lucerne mulch to all beds
- plan plantings for spring rotation
- building new beds
- lay down more woodchip in paths
March – Early Autumn 2013 – in the Chevron bed –
- Blood and Bone, compost, dolomite and manure and top mulch of Lucerne added to beds after harvesting summer vege.
- Harvested from Summer was Sunflowers, Corn, Basil, Silverbeet, Pumpkin, Asparagus, Bush Beans
- Autumn sowing of Poppy, Radish, Kale, Brussel Sprouts, Celery, Carrots.
- Still growing are Thyme, Basil – going to seed, Leeks, Parsley, Chives, Silverbeet, Sage, Calendular – also self seeding and sprouting, Asparagus, Bush Beans
- Border planting of Comfrey looking a bit tired after a hot summer. Cut back to promote new growth and using cuttings as mulch or adding to compost heap as an accelerator.
Pictured here is Summer crops and layout of Autumn plantings